Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lower platelets

On that next Tuesday I had another appointment with Dr Periman and Valerie ( my hematologists and nurse) only to find out that this emotional roller coaster I had been on becuase of the prednisone hadnt been working. I started out at 50 something thousand and had dropped to 41000. Normal range is between 150-450 thousand. Ok so what now? My hema says well maybe your just going to be a litttle harder to treat. He decides the prednisone is not doing anything for me and I can start coming off of it, so he reduced me to 40 mg a day. O and he casually mentions that they can take my spleen. EXCUSE ME dont I need that? Well turns out you really dont HAVE to have it. When I think of a spleen I think of a frog taste tesing bugs. Your spleen is what starts your immune reaction by "taste testing" your blood for anything abnormal. So basically, my body is marking healthy spleens to be killed and during this taste test, my spleen is killing them and mounting an attack against them. So yes my spleen was doing its job, but they still may want him dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment